2005 Mar 11 14:14

Re: [vox-tech] Apt-get vs. Dselect

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 01:51:39PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
... regarding aptitude/dselect/apt-get interface ...
> I've never heard, met or read about anybody who prefers the TUI interface to
> the CLI interface.

I use the TUI interface most of the time and only use the CLI interface
if I want to grab a single, specific package.  There are a couple
advantages that aptitude's TUI interface and dselect have over the CLI
interface (IMO):

 * I can easily see a list of the "new" packages available in the Debian
   repository (I track the unstable branch).  Several times I'll see
   a new package, think "hey, that sounds cool!" and install it even
   though it wasn't something I was specifically looking for.  As far as
   I know, there's no way to get a list of the newly available packages
   and their detailed descriptions with apt-get or with aptitude's CLI
   interface.

 * I like getting a list of packages that are going to be upgraded so
   that I can quickly check changelogs for the packages I'm worried
   about and put them on hold (you can do this from aptitude's CLI also,
   but it's a couple extra steps).

 * Building on the last point, it's slightly easier to see if packages
   that you put on hold have a new upgrade available beyond the
   problematic version.  If so, I can check the changelog quickly and
   decide whether to remove the hold or not.

So I guess now you do know of someone who prefers the TUI interface.
:-)

Matt