2005 Mar 11 13:33

[vox-tech] KDE Questions (was re: Apt-get vs. Dselect)

[vox-tech] KDE Questions (was re: Apt-get vs. Dselect)

A bunch of these I might need to look at early next week, when I'm in
front of my KDE box and have some spare time.  (I'm at work and on XP,
and wish it could do half the stuff KDE could do!)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 01:40:28PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> As long as you bring up KDE, I have a couple of questions.  I've been using
> KDE for a day now, and I can't figure out a few things:
>
> 1. I want a desktop icon similar to "My Computer" that has shortcuts to
>    various filesystems like /usr/local, /home, /C, /D, etc.  How can I
>    generate such a thing?

There's a way to get device shortcuts (either all, or only the mounted ones,
of various types) on your desktop automatically.  I'm not sure about in
 "My Computer" icon, though.

You could, of course, create a folder called "My Computer" on the desktop,
give it a computer-shaped icon, and then create device icons inside of it.
(Right click -> New -> Device Icon, or some-such.)

> 2. How do I change the font displayed underneath icons?  The standard KDE
>    font, aside from not being my cup of tea, is too big for my liking.

That'd be in the Control Center somewhere.  I can't give a precise name,
since I don't have it in front of me. :^/

> 3. How do I get "sloppy focus"?   Sloppy focus is like Unix focus: when the
>    cursor goes over a window, the window gains focus.

Again, in Control Center, under one of the 'Behavior' options.
*ugh*  I should just go dig around for Control Center screenshots, so
I could tell you precisely.  It's a little crowded in there, but fortunately
most of it is organized in a sane way.

<snip>
> 4. I hate to ask this, maybe embarrased is a better word, but is it possible
>    to use MS Windows 95 icons in KDE?  The default KDE icons are too fancy.
>    I want something less ornate.  Less busy.  I really loved the icons (and
>    widgets) that came with MS Windows 95.  Is it possible to use those icons
>    in KDE?

Check http://www.kde-look.org/ and maybe http://www.themes.org/
(if that's even still around!)

> 5. Is it possible to configure artsd to become a client of esd (the
>    Enlightenment Sound Daemon) rather than trying to grab /dev/dsp directly?
>    Better yet, is it possible to tell KDE applications to use esd instead
>    of artsd?

Not sure about making artsd run under esd, but I've done the opposite.
(I just added a startup item that ran "artsdsp esd", which caused esd to
run under arts.)

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com         "I'm anticipating an all-out tactical
http://newbreedsoftware.com/      dog-fight, followed by a light dinner."