2005 Mar 11 10:54

Re: [vox-tech] Apt-get vs. Dselect

On Fri 11 Mar 05, 10:29 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 01:13:10PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > No, no, no.  You didn't read my email.
> >

> Well, really the comparison was aptitude to deselect, not aptitude to
> apt-get.

I wasn't trying to compare anything.  I was saying you don't have to look at
the aptitude TUI interface if you don't want to.  You can use it as a drop
in replacement for apt-get, which is what nearly 100% of the Debian world
does.  I don't know anybody who likes dselect (or aptitude's) TUI interface.

BTW, you might be interested to know that dselect has a non-TUI interface
too.  Not many people know about that.

> The dselect TUI was offensive to me. :^P

LOL.  Good word for it.  :)

> aptitude seemed a bit better, but I still only ever use aptitude as an
> apt-get clone... or just stick with apt-get, due to habit.

There are some _really_ good reasons to use aptitude instead of apt-get.  I
believe Rick Moen has a page of them, and they're very convincing on many
different levels.  I'm sure he'll chime in with the URL sooner or later.  ;)

Pete