2005 Mar 08 09:42

Re: [vox-tech] Cygwin's Identity Crisis

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

I love using Cygwin; it's a great tool, since I find that manipulating
files is much easier for me from the CLI than with a GUI.

This morning I SSH'ed into a remote box, though, and executed Vi; instead
of pulling up the editor, though, I got this message:

I don't know what kind of terminal you are on - all I have is 'cygwin'.
[Using open mode]

I can run Vi through PuTTY on the same remote computer, but it feels
inelegant to have two separate tools that can do the same thing.  Is there
a way to make Cygwin deliver a different terminal type, or to get the
remote machine to understand Cygwin?

As others have pointed out, a more permanent solution would be to add the appropriate
things for terminfo.

I've never had this problem, as I almost always use Cygwin via its X server, and get a much more Linux-like environment thereby. I can't really stand to use Cygwin through a Windows command window; too many key combos don't work right for me. Maybe that's fixable, but I'm more comfortable with its X environment by now.

Even though my Cygwin is fairly old, and doesn't have rootless X. Or clipboard translation :-(

(Need to get my Cygwin updated...)

-Micah