2005 Mar 07 12:22

Re: [vox-tech] When RAM goes bad...

On Sun 06 Mar 05,  8:59 PM, Paul <paulb@claypits.com> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >What a horror story!  If it IS the mother board, maybe I'll get myself that
> >dual Opteron I've been thinking about for the past year or so.
> >
> (useless but possibly entertaining attempt at humor)
> I can tell from here the mother board is bad and you'll need the dual
> Opteron. Come to think of it, the video board and the monitor are
> looking a little weak too:-)

Heh.  I actually LOL'd.  Thanks!  :)

Status Report:

Memtest output seemed to indicate the slot 0 RAM.   I first removed the slot
1 RAM first since it's easier (doesn't need to be replaced, whereas there
always needs to be something in slot 0).

Memtest segfaulted again.

Removed slot 0 RAM and replaced it with what used to be slot 1 RAM.

So far, so good.  No segfaults.  I have a feeling this baby's going to go
all night, so I'll just leave it running.  My worst nightmare was a DIMM
slot.  Thanks heavens it looks like a failed DIMM...

Pete (who keeps looking over his should to make sure memtest hasn't
   segfaulted on the monitor across the room).