2005 Mar 06 20:58

Re: [vox-tech] DE flame war.

On Sunday 06 March 2005 9:31 am, Peter Jay Salzman flailed at a keyboard and
produced this:
> I was thinking of installing a DE on one of my computers.  Don't really know
> much about them.  Never really payed much attention.  I've always used twm
> or Enlightenment when I wanted eye-candy.
>
> I plan on installing KDE on a test basis to see how I like it unless there
> are any issues why I should install Gnome instead.
>
> Any compelling reason to use Gnome instead of KDE?
>
> I definitely don't want to run a display manager, and I'd like to keep
> Enlightenment as a wm.  I assume KDE can handle that....

I used to use Gnome; I switched to KDE about two months ago and I haven't
looked back.  On the other hand, I know people who have gone in exactly the
opposite direction.  I suspect it's all a matter of personal taste.  I can't
think of any compelling reason to use one or the other; I've run Gnome apps
under KDE and vice versa, though they require sizable installations of their
respective libraries.  I've also used Enlightenment with KDE and with Gnome,
and I've used Fluxbox on top of KDE as well.  I didn't care for either of
them personally, but, as I said, when it comes to a desktop environment, a
lot of it really is just personal preference.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford@mossroot.com)