2005 Mar 06 20:03

Re: [vox-tech] DE flame war.

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 12:31 -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Any compelling reason to use Gnome instead of KDE?

Well, the main differences between Gnome and KDE are in what it's like
to develop with them.  Speaking roughly (you did ask for a flamewar
afterall!) Gnome development is more focused on leveraging standards
(such as CORBA), and on portability; KDE is more focused on keeping
things easy and simple for developers.

If you don't plan to develop with them, then a good way to choose is to
look at which widget set you are using with existing apps, since GNOME
apps have to use gtk+ and kde apps have to use qt.  You could save
resources and complication by not installing two widget sets.

--
Josh Parsons
Philosophy Department