2005 Mar 04 19:23

Re: [vox-tech] Demonstrations of Linux flexibility?

On Friday 04 March 2005 03:07 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I'm looking for examples illustrating the flexibility possible with
> GNU/Linux.

Here's a very simple one that I encountered a couple of days
ago.

With Linux and X you can have multiple user logins running
programs on a single graphical desktop.  This is handy if
you want to run multiple instances of a web application that
uses cookies to keep track of sessions... since for a given
web server and client user, there is only one cookie
repository.  While Mozilla supports multiple user profiles,
it doesn't let you run them concurrently from one login.

This particular case was a doctor who wanted to work with
several patients at once, running a web application that's
not designed for it.

As far as I know, you can't do that with Windows.

-- Rod