2005 Mar 04 13:50

Re: [vox-tech] Changing Debian Screen Resolution

On Friday 04 March 2005 08:42, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> First:  my usual suggestion is to go through the configuration tool
> rather than edit the file directly.  No real harm, either way, but once
> you modify a conffile in Debian, automated updates _won't_ touch it.  A
> set of MD5 hashes is kept by the system, for XF86 it's /var/lib/xfree86/
>
> The "debian way" here is:
>
>     $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> ...you'll be walked through the setup screens, with your prior settings
> preselected.

This was very helpful.  In fact there are similar instructions set out in the
introduction to the XF86Config-4 file.  I executed the three commands the
instructions said to execute.  The third command was the one you set out
above.

While I am still getting that momentary band at the bottom of the screen (I
worry about Debian hurting my monitor), my present XFConfig-4 files looks
really good.  And I think that the system will update since I followed the
other directions.

By reconfiguring the xserver I got an idea of why it was that I ended up with
the 800x600 resolution in the first place.  That is one of two default
resolutions that the configuration program gives you.  It looks like I failed
to uncheck those resolutions, and I failed to check 1024x768 the first time I
went through the configuration.  I wasn't paying enough attention to what I
was doing.

Thanks again.

Bob