2005 Mar 04 08:42

Re: [vox-tech] Changing Debian Screen Resolution

On Thursday 03 March 2005 17:33, Ken Bloom wrote:

> Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> find
> Section "Screen"
> then find the Subsection "Display" which corresponds to the default
> color depth. Add "1024x768" at the beginning of the Modes line.

First let me say thanks Ken and thanks David.

Believe it or not, the solution does not work.  I ended up modifying the
resolution for all color depth entries.  I added 1024x768 and removed all
other resolutions.  Here's what happens when I reboot.

When X starts the bottom one fifth of the screen becomes a black band.  The
the screen blinks, and you see a small mouse pointer indicating that the
resolution is 1024x768.  But then the screen blinks again and the mouse arrow
is big indicating that I'm back at 800x600.  GNOME continues to boot, and
there I am in 800x600.

Now here's another mystery.  When I type "xandr" I'm given about 4 screen
resolutions.  This is interesting since XFConfig-4 has only one; 1024x768.
What's more xandr has an asterisk indicating that my resolution is set at
800x600.

I'm wondering if something is overriding XF86Config-4.  Could GDM be doing
something?   Here's another thought.  You might remember several weeks ago
when I was trying to set up X.  I was trying to follow the directions for an
outdated version of X.  I'm wondering if I may have set up another
configuration file like you used to do before Linux started using XFConfig-4.

Does anybody have any thoughts about this?  In the meantime I'll start looking
for another configuration file that I may have set up.

Bob