January 6: Social gathering
2005 Mar 03 11:03

RE: [vox-tech] Another Round of eth0 Problemas - Fixed, now how to prevent?

RE: [vox-tech] Another Round of eth0 Problemas - Fixed, now how to prevent?

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Karalius, Joseph wrote:
[snip]
> So, if I may redirect the discussion, I'd like to hear about how the network
> admins on the list organize IP assignments.  More specifically, is it wise
> to put static IPs shuffled within the DHCP licensed host range and simply
> blacklist the statics from the DHCP server?  Why not put the static IPs in a
> different network, that way the address itself would tell you the address
> type (static vs. dynamic) and if partitioned out even further, printers
> could be in one host range on the network ,and servers could be in another.
> Is it common to just ping addresses to find an unused one and then grab it?
> Or is this a non-issue and only newbies and hacks are affected by it?

Wouldn't it be easier to move the DHCP to a new network address than to
move the static addresses, since all DHCP's IP addresses can be moved from
the server?  Set the netmask on the new DHCP addresses to include the
static IP address range, and announce to everyone to set any computers
with static IP addresses to use the new mask.  If anyone comes to IT and
complains about their computer not being able to access certain others,
then the IT has identified a rogue static IP address user, and can switch
them over to DHCP.

Really, though, nobody should be using static IP address.  If they need to
act as a server, they can do a MAC-address based DHCP resolution to always
get the same IP address.  To do that, they'd have to get someone in the IT
to make a list of NICs that want to have static addresses, and they'd
enter that into the DHCP server somewhere to always give them the same IP
address.  This will centralize all IP assignment to the DHCP server and
remove all IP address conflict altogether (until someone stupidly plugs in
a computer and gives it a static IP.)

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim