2005 Mar 02 18:01

[vox-tech] Re: [vox] Mounting a Shared Win2k Drive for Students--nowrite access?

[vox-tech] Re: [vox] Mounting a Shared Win2k Drive for Students--nowrite access?

--Signature_Wed__2_Mar_2005_14_28_06_-0800_h3PCR8_uiGY7MOt+

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:06:35 -0800
Steve Hargadon <steve.hargadon@gmail.com> wrote:

> I assumed that if root was able to write, that the problem was on the
> Linux side.  Or, should I say, the problem was me not knowing enough
> about Linux.  Could the Windows permissions be set in such a way that
> only the root would be able to write?
>=20
> Steve

I think it's quite possible that aharrington has the ability to write
because Windows is configured to allow him to write, but not to allow
the group "Students" to write (or at least not to recognize the same
"Students" group that Linux does). Root would have the ability to write
by virtue of the fact that somebody has permission to write.

--Ken Bloom

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:21:14 -0800, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:59:02AM -0800, Steve Hargadon wrote:
> > > Still crazy over this one.
> > >
> > > Here is my command:
> > >
> > > mount -t smbfs -o
> > > rw,username=3Dstudent,password=3Dabc123,uid=3D210,gid=3D200,umask=3D0=
02
> > > //wind2ksrv/Students /S-Drive/
> > >
> > > When I "ll" the directory I get
> > >
> > > drwxr-xr-x  1  aharrington  students  ...
> > >
> > > So it seems like everything is working except the permissions.=20
> > > And if the root can get write permissions, I figure that has to
> > > mean that there is nothing from the Windows side getting in the
> > > way here?
> > >
> > > Any help greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Steve
> >=20
> > Are the access permissions on the remote computer set correctly?
> >=20

> > > --
> > > Steve Hargadon
> > > 916-899-1400 direct
> >=20
> > --
> > I usually have a GPG digital signature included as an attachment.
> > See http://www.gnupg.org/ for info about these digital signatures.
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20