2005 Feb 23 08:04

Re: [vox-tech] Help - Grub error 21

On Wed 23 Feb 05,  7:49 AM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@sbcglobal.net> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >My computer at work is a WinXP system.  Yesterday I used a Debian Sarge
> >official installer to make the system into a dual boot system.  Everything
> >went fine until the reboot.  When the system reboots, I see:
> >
> >   Grub loading stage 1.5
> >   Grub loading, please wait...
> >   Error 21
> >
> >The system doesn't boot at all.
>
> My guess is the grub install got messed up.  You can try re-installing
> grub from a linux self-boot CD.  I've done this a couple times using
> Knoppix, so I know it works.  Once Knoppix boots up, get a terminal,
> become root, and run "grub".  Then do something like (pasted from gentoo
> install manual):
>
> grub> root (hd0,0)          (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
> grub> setup (hd0)           (Install GRUB in the MBR)
> grub> quit                  (Exit the GRUB shell)
>
> You can do tab completion for the "hdx,x" part to see if everything is
> detected properly.  I /think/ grub uses BIOS info for this (but I could
> be wrong).

That's what I've read during my Googling.  What worries me is if grub didn't
detect the drives during the reboot phase of the installation, I'm hoping it
does the right thing when Knoppix is running.

> Grub will also fail very early if it can't find your /boot/grub/menu.1st
> file.  I would double check that it exists and looks correct.

Cool.  I like this much better than swapping out grounding pins or IDE
cables.  I'll give this a try first.  Don't go into work until Thursday, but
I'll give a status report when something new develops.

Also, I'll try downloading a new version of the Sarge Beta installer.  I'm
sure a new one was released since I downloaded my current copy.

Thanks!
Pete