2005 Feb 23 07:55

Re: [vox-tech] Help - Grub error 21

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
Hi all,

My computer at work is a WinXP system.  Yesterday I used a Debian Sarge
official installer to make the system into a dual boot system.  Everything
went fine until the reboot.  When the system reboots, I see:

   Grub loading stage 1.5
   Grub loading, please wait...
   Error 21

The system doesn't boot at all.

My guess is the grub install got messed up. You can try re-installing grub from a linux self-boot CD. I've done this a couple times using Knoppix, so I know it works. Once Knoppix boots up, get a terminal, become root, and run "grub". Then do something like (pasted from gentoo install manual):

grub> root (hd0,0) (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
grub> setup (hd0) (Install GRUB in the MBR)
grub> quit (Exit the GRUB shell)

You can do tab completion for the "hdx,x" part to see if everything is detected properly. I /think/ grub uses BIOS info for this (but I could be wrong).

Grub will also fail very early if it can't find your /boot/grub/menu.1st file. I would double check that it exists and looks correct.

HTH,
Jonathan