2005 Feb 21 22:27

Re: [vox-tech] JPGs and the GIMP

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 06:57:14PM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> > The colors are all messed up.  I've tried several different things, mostly
> > messing with resolutions and other advanced options under "save as jpeg".  I
> > also tried saving the image as a .png file, but the image wouldn't even load.
>
> >From this, I assume you have tested the images before and after the data
> transfer, so...

Well, if saving as JPEG failed and saving as PNG failed ALSO, then perhaps
it's because /both/ kinds of files were being uploaded wrong. ;^)
(ASCII vs binary mode in gFTP)

But, I'm stabbing in the dark.  I don't really have any good methods of
examining the actual data in the file to determine.  (I guess I could write
a small C program to read the data and let me know if any of the bytes have
the 8th bit set.  If NONE of them do, then it's almost /certainly/ an FTP mode
issue ;^) )

<snip>
> I have never seen this problem with color before... but given that jpeg is
> a lossy format, the settings you use in the conversion should have a
> strong effect on the quality of the resulting image.

It's not just the colors, it's the entire data stream is fux0red. :^)

> Google sez (to me) that some jpeg bugs were fixed in 2.2.3:
>
> http://www.mrtech.com/news/messages/4476.html

Yeah, a JPEG library issue could be it, as well. :^)

bill@newbreedsoftware.com         "I'm anticipating an all-out tactical
http://newbreedsoftware.com/      dog-fight, followed by a light dinner."