2005 Feb 21 22:13

Re: [vox-tech] JPGs and the GIMP

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> I came up against the wall of my ignorance of the GIMP this evening.  I took a
> picture of some nifty storm clouds, and loaded the pic onto my computer so
> that I could crop it and upload it to the photoblog I share with my wife.
>
> I cropped the image, and saved it as a .jpg file.  But look at this:
>
> http://www.stonegoose.com/catseyeview/archives/stormclouds.jpg
>
> The colors are all messed up.  I've tried several different things, mostly
> messing with resolutions and other advanced options under "save as jpeg".  I
> also tried saving the image as a .png file, but the image wouldn't even load.

>From this, I assume you have tested the images before and after the data
transfer, so...

> I'm using Gimp 2.2 under KDE 3.3.2 on Fedora Core 3, and trying to view these
> images in Firefox 1.0.  For what it's worth, I'm also using gFTP to upload
> the images.

... the fact that you are using gFTP should be irrelevant.

> Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  I've tried Googling the problem but I
> couldn't find anything that I could make sense of.

I have never seen this problem with color before... but given that jpeg is
a lossy format, the settings you use in the conversion should have a
strong effect on the quality of the resulting image.

Google sez (to me) that some jpeg bugs were fixed in 2.2.3:

http://www.mrtech.com/news/messages/4476.html

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing