2005 Feb 15 08:49

Re: [vox-tech] Browser speed

on Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 10:26:57PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> On Sun 13 Feb 05,  7:18 PM, Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> said:
> > on Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:30:17PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:

[Speed doesn't matter...except when it does]

> True.  But I've always said that, in my perception, Opera is the fastest
> to both begin rendering and finish rendering a typical webpage.

Possibly.  I tried it periodically, but never particularly cared for it.
Partly it's proprietary.  Partly the widget set, look/feel, and adware.
Poor use of real-estate.

Fastest browser bar none is dillo.  But it's not full-featured (lots of
lacking stuff, and renders poorly).  Good for limited use or very old
HW.

> > I also see a significant differnece in browser responsiveness when task
> > switching, window resizing, or pulling up dialogs.  For which Mozilla
> > and Firebird fare far poorer than Galeon (1.3.x).
>
> Galeon.  Ugh.  It was so right, and went so horribly, horribly wrong.

You know, I didn't think I'd say this, but take a look at it.  The 1.3.x
branch is getting _much_ better.  Not that I'm not still pissed at how
much it got screwed in the branch.  Or that GNOME is doing it more harm
than good (hint:  Google "gnome is f*cked", minus the star....).

> Yeah.  Really, Opera wins most of that, except for stability, which is
> pretty much a trump card and why i'm in week 3 of my Firefox experiment.

FFX loses IMO on tabbed browsing and overall interface speed, though
some of the plugins are pretty cool.  I've got FFX, Galeon, Mozilla, and
Konq on this box, FFX and Galeon up most of the time, Mozilla not
infrequently.  With a small (and shrinking) list of reservations, Galeon
wins.

Peace.

    18.8% of all browsers that claim to be MSIE, aren't.
    - http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/35.html