2005 Feb 15 11:17

[vox-tech] Debian Sarge Sound Finally Fixed

[vox-tech] Debian Sarge Sound Finally Fixed

Finally, after weeks of work I've got sound working on my Debian Sarge net
install.  You'll never guess what I did.  All I did was update the kernel
from 2.4 to 2.6.

Of course I had earlier installed Alsa.  I had deliberately refused to upgrade
the kernel because some of the people writing about Debian sound problems on
the web said that their problems began by upgrading from the 2.4 to the 2.6
kernel.  So I figured it must be easier getting the sound to work on 2.4.
That was not a good assumption.

What I think is that there were some modules that were not loading under the
2.4 kernel that are now loading under 2.6.

So now that Jonathan turned me on to that CUPS program (localhost:631), and my
printing works, I have a completely functioning Debian system.

Bob