2005 Feb 09 15:37

Re: [vox-tech] a firefox question

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Thu 03 Feb 05, 12:10 PM, Matt Roper <matt@mattrope.com> said:

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:01:50AM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

These have been some interesting discussions about FireFox. One thing Pete originally complained about that hasn't been discussed is the opening of new windows when you would rather they would go to another tab. This often frustrates me as well. From what I can tell, this occurs when some java happy web designer wraps a link with javascript to open a new window. Left-clicking on these links opens the content in a new window, as expected. Middle-clicking on the link opens a blank tab with the javascript in the location bar. Since java code is not a valid location, nothing opens. I hope this gets fixed in future versions.
I believe the Tab-Mix plugin
(http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en) will solve this
problem.  It also adds several other useful options for configuring tab
behavior.
On my system, this extension noticeably slows down FF! But on the page for
tab-mix, there's a reference to another extension called "single window"
which looks like it does what I want:

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=290

Pete

I ended up using "Tabbrowser Preferences"
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/tabprefs
Actually, it was the first I tried, and I am happy with it so far.

The other major issue I've had is getting "mailto" links in Firefox to
use Thunderbird, and getting "url" links in Thunderbird to us Firefox.
The "Launchy" extension didn't work at all.  Instead, a simple solution
is to add some lines to the the "user.js" files for both.  In
~/.mozilla/firefox/default.xxx/user.js, add the line

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "thunderbird");

and in ~/.thunderbird/default.xxx/user.js add the lines

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "firefox");

Regards,
Jonathan