2005 Feb 04 01:01

Re: [vox-tech] Four week test of Firefox versus Opera

Re: [vox-tech] Four week test of Firefox versus Opera

Bill Kendrick wrote:

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 05:15:13AM -0800, Micah Cowan wrote:

My current biggest pet peeve about IE's mishandling of things would include its broken support for absolute positioning. Should be relative to the enclosing box, but instead is relative to the window coords. Awful.

I'm sorry... do you mean, literally, the position of the IE window on the
screen/desktop!?

Is that surprising? You wouldn't want an absolute element to remain in the same place on the screen if the window itself had moved... no browser would do /true/ absolute positioning (and it would be broken from a CSS POV).

Technically, I actually mean the top-left corner of the display area, since obviously expanding toolbars and whatnot should shift the entire display downwards.

What I was trying to say is that CSS's idea of absolute positioning coordinates is that they are relative to the enclosing block-level element; whereas relative coordinates are relative to the location at which the element being positioned would otherwise have been placed. But IE's idea of absolute positioning is that they are always relative to the display area's top-left corner.