2005 Feb 03 18:56

Re: [vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:40:21AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Micah Cowan wrote:
>
> > Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > >I forgot to list another major annoyance for me: I'm so used to
> > >emacs style editing in bash, that ctrl-u is burned into my brain as
> > >"clear line".  Unfortunately, it displays the page source on FF.
> >
> > C-u is not an emacs thing (take it from an emacs user). It's a
> > terminal thing. Emacs uses C-u for something *completely* different.
>
> It's a readline thing, no?

Yep.  readline defaults to emacs-style line editing commands, which is
augmented with additional commands like C-u.  From the man page:

    unix-line-discard (C-u)
        Kill backward from point to the beginning of the
        line.  The killed text is saved on the kill-ring.

I usually use C-k, which is more emacs-ish.

There is also the vi-style editing mode
(put "editing-mode vi" in your ~/.inputrc).

-David