2005 Feb 03 10:39

Re: [vox-tech] More FireFox

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:27:19AM -0800, Richard Harke wrote:
> Here is a strange one. I go to www.mambazo.com   As soon as the page
> finishes loading, FF aborts without any message. No problem with
> Konqueror.

Hrm, it seems to load okay for me in Mozilla.  However, it has a Flash
animation at the upper left (I have the Flash blocker add-on installed).

Let's click it... it disappeared.  And now my computer is playing loud
Ladysmith Black Mambazo music on top of the Drum-n-Base I'm listening to.
Bad mix. :^)  (Apparently no way to stop the music w/o closing the window
or going to a different page. >:^( )

I'm guessing your Flash plugin died.  (It's pretty common.  It's a pretty
crappy chunk of code... at least their Linux port.  There's also apparently
some namespace clash between Flash and Qt, which can make it even less happy
under Konqueror.)

This kind of instability is one of the many reasons I don't like Flash.
(It's good for cartoons and games, but really... that's it.
Stick to HTML and CSS for navigation, damnit!)

Anyway, try installing the Flash blocker add-on for Mozilla/Firefox and
you should have a stabler, quieter, less seizure-inducing web experience.
(And just click the 'play' button placeholder to activate those embedded
Flash bits that you wish to see on a page.)

  http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

> The first time I tried to send this email, Kmail aborted without
> any message. This not likely a hardware problem as this is on
> two different machines. (But both Debian testing)

KDE normally fires up the Crash Handler window right after a KDE app dies
like that.  But perhaps it was something un-catch-able. :^/

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com          April shower bring Kompressor power!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/