2005 Jan 28 17:56

Re: [vox-tech] Sarge Printing Problem

On Friday 28 January 2005 11:47, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> So if you haven't already, put
> localhost:631 in your browser's location bar.  If the cups daemon is
> running, you should get a menu to start working CUPS.  If you have a
> printer correctly installed, clicking on the "print test page" for that
> printer should give you a nice CUPS test page.

Wow.  That was great.  I didn't know about that trick.  The first thing it let
me do was delete printers.  The GNOME remove-printer-function was grayed out,
and I couldn't figure out how to delete printers.

At first I couldn't do a test page.  The program said that my parallel port
was busy.  Also, when I would boot into, or out of, Debian the printer would
start printing blank pages.  So I let the printer have a little fit, turned
it off, and then turned it back on again.  After I did that I could print a
test page from localhost:631.  After the test page printed I could print with
Open Office for the first time.  The printer didn't start when I booted out
of Debian this time (I'm in SuSE now.)  We'll see what happens when I boot
back into Debian.

I really can't believe that a fix to a Debian problem can be so easy.  (And
I'm not sure exactly what the fix actually was.)  So thanks Jonathan and
David.

If I don't get my sound working, I'll be back in touch next week and you can
fix that for me too. :-)

Bob