2005 Jan 26 19:15

Re: [vox-tech] tight-vnc, can't ping box from windows

Re: [vox-tech] tight-vnc, can't ping box from windows

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Tue 25 Jan 05, 11:46 PM, tech_dev <tech_dev@wildintellect.com> said:

Trying linux again now that I think I have time to get away from my
windows server.

1. I need vnc access from windows XP.
Can't seem to get a connection with the tightvnc client.
I get the feeling the culprit lies elsewhere though since I can't ping
the linux box either. The hostname resolves and samba is up and running
fine but no ping or vnc.

It's a Mandrake 10 box, and no the firewall is not blocking since I
didn't install it yet.
You say the hostname resolved as if you're running name serving or the
systems are located on different networks. What exactly is the topolgy
here? Where are these systems in relation to each other? That would help
focus the solution.
It's a local switched lan (netgear router), dhcp.
by hostname I meant I could ping based on the windows computer name and it would find the right ip address.
First, the basics.

0. Can XP ping yahoo.com?
yes
1. Can GNU/Linux ping yahoo.com?
yes

All the computers are on the internet fine and all are visible in the network neighborhood/samba.

Then, the basics.

2. Can XP ping the GNU/Linux IP address?
no
"Pinging coyote [192.168.1.106] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.106:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),"

3. Can GNU/Linux ping the XP IP address?
yes
Peter