2005 Jan 26 16:39

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

Josh Parsons wrote:

Can I ask why you need to recompile the kernel? You should be able to
install ndiswrapper without recompiling the kernel - though you need to
have a set of configured kernel headers on your system (and that usually
means having the kernel source). There is an exception to this, which is
that ndis drivers are fussy about kernel configuration (in particular
the 4K stack option). So, you should only need to recompile the kernel
if you need to change the kernel configuration.

This is a new Sarge install - which gave me a kernel image (w) no headers or source. The Debian archive I'm linked to (UC Berkeley's) doesn't have the headers for their version of 2.4.25 ... so I decided to view this as a learning experience, pulled down 2.4.29 source from kernel.org, and set about pounding my head into the desk ... er ... um ... finally learning kernel compiles.