2005 Jan 26 15:15

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Hi Richard,

On Wed 26 Jan 05, 1:54 PM, Richard Burkhart <richard@khanfusion.net> said:

I'm trying to learn the arcane art of kernel compiles

You need to get this out of your head -- there's nothing arcane about
compiling a kernel. It should be a very common and natural thing for you to
do.

So is walking, after you've been doing it for a while. Toddlers often bounce off of the floor a number of times before they get the method down.

I've found the most common reasons for panics during the boot phase of a
home compiled kernel:
  * something important was built as a module and it shouldn't have
     (no more initrd).
  * forgot to build your root filesystem's filesystem into the kernel.
  * forgot to include the proper IDE / mobo chipset support.

I couldn't say when it is happening, b'cause I'm writing this at work -- I've got the laptop with me, but spending too much time playing with it tends to gain the attention of employers.

I THINK that I mis-read a warning last night when I dpkg-installed the kernel. I'd already done a 2.4.29 kernel once, and was trying to do it again ... it gave me a warning about overwriting modules, that I thought wouldn't be an issue because I was using the same code tree ... it should have simply overwritten them with the same modules. *shrug*.

But to answer your question, your kernel is likely to be in /boot with a
symlink to /.

Your modules are located in /lib/modules/x.y.z.

And assuming I can't figure out things the dpkg way ... deleting the kernel image in /boot (and any symlink in root), the 2.4.29 module directory(ies), and a GRUB configuration edit will properly clean me out?
Or maybe clean my clock?

rb