2005 Jan 27 22:36

[vox-tech] New edition of the LaTeX Companion is out

[vox-tech] New edition of the LaTeX Companion is out

A few weeks ago, while browsing a bookstore, I found that there's now a 2nd
edition of "The LaTeX Companion", which I consider to be one of the two
mandatory books for every LaTeX user (and one of the 3 mandatory books for
advanced users).

I noticed a couple of things about the new edition:

   * The introduction said that the first edition was over 10 years old.
     I had no idea the 1st edition was so old!

   * The Companion has exploded in size to a whopping 1000+ pages.  That's
     about double the 1st edition.

   * The authors claim that 90% of the original content was re-written.

   * Among some of the enhancements made is that the authors make great use
     of marginal notes.  For me, personally, the graphics chapter and the
     section of flowing text around figures were greatly enhanced.

Some things I don't like about the book:

   * The binding seems a bit weak for the size of the book.

   * The book is a bit too big to be friendly.  The authors still use the
     same colloquial writing style that I love, but the Companion is no
     longer something you can read cover to cover, although I suppose some
     people would claim it never was to begin with.  ;-)

Anyhow, just wanted to throw this out there.  I've been using the new
edition for a few weeks now, and am loving it.

Pete