2005 Jan 26 18:32

Re: [vox-tech] tight-vnc, can't ping box from windows

On Tue 25 Jan 05, 11:46 PM, tech_dev <tech_dev@wildintellect.com> said:
> Trying linux again now that I think I have time to get away from my
> windows server.
>
> 1. I need vnc access from windows XP.
> Can't seem to get a connection with the tightvnc client.
> I get the feeling the culprit lies elsewhere though since I can't ping
> the linux box either. The hostname resolves and samba is up and running
> fine but no ping or vnc.
>
> It's a Mandrake 10 box, and no the firewall is not blocking since I
> didn't install it yet.

You say the hostname resolved as if you're running name serving or the
systems are located on different networks.  What exactly is the topolgy
here?  Where are these systems in relation to each other?  That would help
focus the solution.

First, the basics.

0. Can XP ping yahoo.com?
1. Can GNU/Linux ping yahoo.com?

Then, the basics.

2. Can XP ping the GNU/Linux IP address?
3. Can GNU/Linux ping the XP IP address?

Peter