2005 Jan 24 04:21

Re: [vox-tech] Restructuring a CVS repository

Re: [vox-tech] Restructuring a CVS repository

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:30:30 -0800
"Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

> For several months now, I've been using CVS to keep my writing up to
> date  across four different computers ('cause I never know when I'll
> get a chance  to work on something).  Now I want to complete redo the
> directory structure,  but I feel like it's embedded into the CVS
> repository as it is, and I can't  think of an easy way to restructure
> without a ton of cvs removes and cvs  adds.  I thought about deleting
> the main repository as well as the replicated  directories on all but
> one computer, then going through and deleting all of  the CVS folders
> recursively, then restructuring everything, then exporting it  all
> again, but that seems overly complex.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this?

This is one of the weaknesses of CVS, and is why Subversion was written.
If you use cvs2svn to import the old CVS repository into Subversion,
then you'll find that Subversion works very much like CVS, with very
little learning curve.

--Ken Bloom