2005 Jan 17 07:50

Re: [vox-tech] CVS problem: .cvsignore is being ignored

Re: [vox-tech] CVS problem: .cvsignore is being ignored

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Hi all,

I have a file:

foo.tex

in CVS. I want to modify foo.tex on my local hard drive, but keep the
repository copy "as-is". In other words, I don't want my changes to foo.tex
to be added to the repository version.

If I place 'foo.tex' into .cvsignore (located in the root of my checkout
directory), and do a general:

cvs commit

isn't foo.tex supposed to be ignored by the "commit" command? I'm asking
because it's not. :) Although 'foo.tex' is in .cvsignore, whenever I
make changes to that file, "cvs commit" still wants to commit my changes.

Using strace, I determined that CVS IS reading .cvsignore, and even reads
"foo.tex" from that file. Yet when I do a "cvs commit", it still wants to
update the repository copy of foo.tex with my local modified copy.

Any ideas why?

Pete

Isn't that why it's called ".cvsignore": so CVS will ignore it? (jk)

If .cvsignore is only intended to keep files out of the repository that are not already in it (this sounds possible), then it may have been a design decision (or merely an accidental consequence of the algorithm used) to pay it no heed in the updating of existing repository entries, but only in the initial commitment of new entries. I'm sure the docs must cover this somewhere.