2005 Jan 13 15:31

Re: [vox-tech] [help@google.com: Re: [#19464334] Searching fordotfiles]

Mark vs. the World...

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:25:49PM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > The syntax for /etc/vimrc (or more accurately, /usr/share/vim/.../vimrc)
> > is same as that of ~/etc/.vimrc.  So why would one be motivated to search
> > for .vimrc when one simply wants to find out the syntax of vimrc files in
> > general?
>
> Because most end-users would be discussing their ".dotfiles", versus
> their "/etc/rcfiles" in places like mailing lists (e.g., vox-tech)
> or other online forums.
>
> Example "how-to" pages on sites would probably also say:
>
>   "to forward all your mail to another address, stick it in a file called
>   '.forward'"
>
> or...
>
>   "to do such-n-such cool thing in Mutt, put 'foo=bar' in your '.muttrc'"
>
> and not mention the /etc files specifically.  So, you'd lose a lot of
> potential results by looking for one versus the other. :^(

Both of those pages would be searchable with the extra terms!  Again, no
incentive for Google to add support for a feature that benefits a small
group of people that can already search for what they need within the
current structure of the engine.

> <snip>
> > If Google started making exceptions for everything, it really is going to
> > slow it down for everone.
>
> Well, they DO have those sub-sites, like "www.google.com/linux", remember! :)

Linux pages benefit a large group of people.

Maybe they should add the dotfile searches to www.google.com/linux.
That'd be a more reasonable request since it's benefits a significant
amount of people within a large group they already provide a special
search services for.

> They're using comodity hardware in the scale of 1000s or 10s of 1000s, so
> adding particular features here and there can't be TOO expensive.
>
> I mean, hell, they include a frickin' calculator in the search UI!
>

> (Go to Google and search for "150F in C" and you'll get the temp of my
> apartment's hot water, in Celsius :^) )

Calculators and unit converters benefit a large group of people, and it's
interesting enough idea to play with (probably came from Google Labs.)
But dotfiles isn't either.

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius