2005 Jan 21 19:10

Re: [vox-tech] Plextor PX-712A not working...

On Thursday 13 January 2005 11:27 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 13 Jan 05, 11:26 AM, Dylan Beaudette <dylan@iici.no-ip.org> said:
> > On Thursday 13 January 2005 11:16 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > Can you post the output of:
> > >
> > >    mount
> > >
> > > and:
> > >
> > >    hdparm /dev/hda
> > >    hdparm /dev/hdb
> > >    hdparm /dev/hdc
> > >    hdparm /dev/hdd
> > >    hdparm /dev/hde
> > >    hdparm /dev/hdf
> > >    hdparm /dev/hdg
> > >
> > > If any of the output says "no device" or something to that effect,
> > > don't bother posting it.  IIRC, you have to run hdparm as root, even
> > > when you just want to query the hardware.
> >
> > interesting....
> >
> > all devices return a "No such device or address" error from hdparm. mount
> > gives the same type of error.
>
> That's hinky!
>
> Time to start shooting with buckshot.  Maybe we'll hit something.

Thanks for taking the time to help!

> Can you tell me a little bit about your kernel?
2.6.8-1-686-smp
standard debian/sarge kernel image

> Is it a distro supplied kernel?
yes

> Did you compile it yourself?
no

> Do you have more than one kernel on this machine?
yes, a 2.4-SMP series

> Where did THEY come from?
debian kernel image

> What mobo do you have?
ASUS PC-DL Deluxe

> Can you boot Knoppix and use your CD drive?
yes

> Can you boot Knoppix and try the test with mount/hdparm?
> If Knoppix works, grab a copy of `lsmod`.
will do this now... in the mean time here is some more info!

> Can you cut and paste what "mount" responds with so I can see verbatim?
basho:/mnt# mount cdrom
mount: /dev/hda is not a valid block device

> Please post /etc/fstab.
### 2.4 series kernel ###
#proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
#/dev/hdc3       /               reiserfs defaults        0       1
#/dev/hdc4       /home           reiserfs defaults        0       2
#/dev/hdc6       none            swap    sw              0       0
#/dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

### 2.6 series kernel
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
none            /sys            sysfs   defaults        0       0
/dev/sda3       /               reiserfs defaults        0       1
/dev/sda4       /home           reiserfs defaults        0       2
/dev/sda6       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis