2005 Jan 13 15:29

[vox-tech] [help@google.com: Re: [#19464334] Searching for dotfiles]

Here's google's answer:

----- Forwarded message from help@google.com -----

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:24:13 -0800
From: help@google.com
Subject: Re: [#19464334] Searching for dotfiles
To: Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu>

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your note. Google currently does not recognize search terms
containing periods, exclamation points, question marks, the @ sign, and
other such characters. These characters are so common that including them
in a search would greatly slow the delivery of search results.
Furthermore, the use of punctuation on the web is so inconsistent (for
example, there's no obvious way to decide between Mr. and Mr) that
including it in the query often does more harm than good.

That said, we know that many useful search terms do contain such
characters. We've generated exceptions for terms like C++ and $10 and are
studying ways to enable search terms like C/net. We'll keep your feedback
in mind as we work to improve the quality of our search.

For more information, please visit
http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html. Please don't hesitate to
contact us with any other questions or concerns. Thanks for your interest
in Google.

Regards,
The Google Team

Original Message Follows: