2005 Jan 13 12:14

Re: [vox-tech] Plextor PX-712A not working...

On Thu 13 Jan 05, 11:26 AM, Dylan Beaudette <dylan@iici.no-ip.org> said:
> On Thursday 13 January 2005 11:16 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > Can you post the output of:
> >
> >    mount
> >
> > and:
> >
> >    hdparm /dev/hda
> >    hdparm /dev/hdb
> >    hdparm /dev/hdc
> >    hdparm /dev/hdd
> >    hdparm /dev/hde
> >    hdparm /dev/hdf
> >    hdparm /dev/hdg
> >
> > If any of the output says "no device" or something to that effect, don't
> > bother posting it.  IIRC, you have to run hdparm as root, even when you
> > just want to query the hardware.
>
> interesting....
>
> all devices return a "No such device or address" error from hdparm. mount
> gives the same type of error.

That's hinky!

Time to start shooting with buckshot.  Maybe we'll hit something.

Can you tell me a little bit about your kernel?
Is it a distro supplied kernel?
Did you compile it yourself?
Do you have more than one kernel on this machine?
Where did THEY come from?
What mobo do you have?
Can you boot Knoppix and use your CD drive?
Can you boot Knoppix and try the test with mount/hdparm?
If Knoppix works, grab a copy of `lsmod`.
Can you cut and paste what "mount" responds with so I can see verbatim?
Please post /etc/fstab.

Pete