2005 Jan 13 11:04

Re: [vox-tech] Plextor PX-712A not working...

On Thursday 13 January 2005 10:48 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 13 Jan 05,  1:30 PM, p <p> said:
> > On Thu 13 Jan 05, 10:35 AM, Dylan Beaudette <debeaudette@ucdavis.edu>
said:

> > > thanks for the ideas Pete!
> > >
> > > here is the breakdown:
> > > ide_cd module was loaded
> > > ide-scsi module was not loaded
> > >
> > > kernel arguments are limited to:
> > > root=/dev/sda3 ro
> > >
> > > ... i just checked in the internal connections, and the drive seems to
> > > be connected properly. The drive mechanics (tray eject) seem to work
> > > fine, and the machine is only about 6 months old...
> > >
> > > I'm stumped!
> >
> > Hy Dylan,
> >
> > I'm sure there's a perfectly logical explanation.  There almost always
> > is.
> >
> > :)
> >
> > You said that the cd drive doesn't show up in dmesg.  Fine.
> >
> > But does your *scsi card* show up in dmesg?
> >
> > Do you have the proper low level scsi card driver installed?
> >
> > Pete
>
> Ack!  Brain death.  Sorry.  Your Plextors are IDE, not SCSI.

thats ok!

here is some output from dmesg regarding all that is IDE:
PCI: Ignoring BAR0-3 of IDE controller 0000:00:1f.2
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

..perhaps a module for the IDE controller is not loading..?

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis