2005 Jan 13 10:10

Re: [vox-tech] XF86Config Question

Quoting Robert G. Scofield (rscofield@afes.com):

> In this Sarge net install you download 110 megs only.  After this
> "base" you then go online and download what you want.

Er, yes.  (I'm very familiar with Debian-compatible netinst installers,
and maintain a listing of all such ones known.)

Quite possibly, I was misinterpreting what you meant when you said you
were downloading a bunch of KDE packages:  Your wording made it seem as
if you were fetching those manually, rather than using the built-in
packag-acquisition and dependency-resolution tools.  I was saying that
the _former_ would be a bad idea.

> Yeah, I'm just not used to it.  While I haven't yet figured out what Aptitude
> is doing exactly it does seem to be cleaning things up.

Which is what I'd normally expect.  Good!

> The oddest thing I've seen so far is Aptitude in menu mode.  I seem to do
> better with the command line.

Yeah, ditto.

> The Debian website lists some books on Debian.

You know, I've not had a very high opinion of the ones I've seen in
person:  They generally seem like either generic-Linux books, or very
outdated, or both.  But there may be exceptions.

For whatever it's worth, I really do prefer what's findable on the Net.