2005 Jan 10 08:57

[vox-tech] Debian Package Tools

I have downloaded a source package and I'm trying to get it set
up to look at. I used apt-get source package-name
Now I have a directory with a diff.gz, a .dsc and a orig.tar.gz
There is also a sub-directory with 3 .bz2 files, a shell script
called prep.sh and a version file. Also a sub-directory called
debian. At this point everything is very old, June 2003.
Clearly patches have not been applied.

Isn't there a debian tool for extracting the entire source archive
into its usual tree and applying the patches? I've tried
dpkg-source -x name.dsc but what I described is what I get.
Running prep.sh does unpack a couple of the bz2 files but does
not apply the patches.

Along with wanting to look at this source, I am trying to
learn to use the debian tools better.

Thanks
Richard Harke