2005 Jan 09 22:41

Re: [vox-tech] SIGSEGV on kdmgreet after dist-upgrade [solved]

On Saturday 08 January 2005 02:09 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Sat 08 Jan 05,  3:01 PM, Dylan Beaudette <dylan@iici.no-ip.org> said:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have been using Sarge for the last couple of months without incident,
> > however after a dist-upgrade this morning i was left with a
> > non-functioning kdm... when it loads i get a KDE-style error message
> > (SIGSEGV) and kdm quits...
> >
> > i am able to start KDE via XDM, but my font's are not rendered
> > correctly...
> >

> > in the past i have been using;
> > atptitude update && aptitude upgrade
> >
> > this morning i tried a dist-upgrade, in order to get some packages that
> > were being held back....
> >
> > is this a problem that should go away with the next upgrade cycle, or
> > have i inadvertantly done something horribly wrong...?
> >

> > thanks in advance
> >
> > Dylan
>
> Best places to look for the answer to this question is:
>
>    0. debian-user mailing list
>    1. bugs.debian.org (or reportbug)
>
> in that order.  If it's a non-Dylan specific bug that's been reported,
> it'll be fixed.
>
> IIRC, a maintainer who's fixing a bug report creates the new Debian package
> and uploads it to the mega-unstable branch.  From there, it goes into
> unstable (Sid).
>
> If, after being in Sid for X days (I think X=10 or 12?) without getting a
> new bug report filed against it, it finally filters into testing.
>
> I don't know if all the details are correct, but that approximates what
> happens by some measure.  Rick knows more about this than I do.
>
> What I'm trying to say is that if it's a known bug, you can expect to have
> to wait a bit for it to get fixed.
>
> What you could do is if it does get fixed in unstable, and don't want to
> wait for the package to filter into testing, go to packages.debian.org,
> download the unstable package and install it (along with any dependencies
> you may not have).
>
> Pete

Thanks for the info Pete!

Turns out that an update && upgrade about 2 hours later fixed the problem!
must have been a bad copy of kdm in the first upgrade...

however, i now have a working KDE 3.3 which makes me happy!

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette
Soil Science Graduate Group