2005 Jan 08 08:42

Re: [vox-tech] ssh disconnects

I set TMOUT=0 on BASH and shell.sonic.net stopped kicking me out.  But I
recall trying that option previously on the local server so I think the
two might be unrelated.  Since I don't have access to the "local" server
(which isn't local at the moment and is down) I'll let you know how that
turns out with the -v ssh option, when I regain access to the server
around June or so. =P

Thanks Bill for your reply!

-Mark

PS: My KeepAlive setting is currently set to default (on, according to the
manual.)  I don't mind disconnection on a bad connection; it's just that I
kept on getting kicked off when the connection was just fine.  KeepAlive
seems to be unrelated to this particular problem, but I'll keep it in mind
for future reference.

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Bill Broadley wrote:

> > I've read that PuTTY has an option to send empty packets to keep the
> > connection alive but I'm using Linux here so that's not an option.  I've
>
> BAH, putty better than ssh?
>
> > played with KeepAlive and TCPKeepAlive options on ssh_config with no
> > avail.
>
> KeepAlive should be off (set to no) if you don't want to to have a
> shell die because of a short network problem.  The keepalive option is
> for tcp keepalives.  Does the putty documentation imply that the putty
> setting does something else?
>
> > I've also played with KeepAlive and TCPKeepAlive on sshd_config on
> > a local server I have root access to and it still has problems keeping the
> > connection alive with my desktop over the local LAN.
>
> So you want KeepAlive off (set to no).
>
> > Currently, I'm more concerned with the connection to shell.sonic.net (my
> > ISP's shell server) for complicated reasons, so any solution involving
> > local changes is preferable to any solution involving a remote server
> > change.
>
> If you run ssh -v shell.sonic and it dies what are the last few lines of
> what happens?
>
> --
> Bill Broadley
> Computational Science and Engineering