2005 Jan 06 09:36

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Net Install Question

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 17:51, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Robert G. Scofield (rscofield@afes.com):
> > So I downloaded this file:  sarge-i386-netinst.iso
>
> Also, download the matching md5sum.  Then run "md5sum" on the ISO, and
> compare.  _Then_ burn it, and try to boot it.

Before you read this, I want everyone to know I have been reading man md5sum
and info md5sum.  This stuff is confusing.  Here's what I've found:

1)  If I type "md5sum sarge-i386-netinst.iso | mdsum -c", I get this nice
message:  "sarge-i386-netinst.iso: OK"

2)  If I type "md5sum -c sarge-i386-netinst.iso", a bunch of stuff flys across
the screen ending with this not nice message:  "md5sum: WARNING: 906 of 906
listed files could not be read"

3)  If I type "md5sum -c sarge-i386-netinst.iso | more", I appear to get the
same type of information flying across the screen as in (2); things like
files can't be opened or read or found, but at the end there is no final
message about 906 of 906 files not being read.

4)  Peter's great command, mount -o loop sarge-i386-netinst.iso /mnt, leads to
this titillating file in sarge-i386-netinst.iso, "md5sum.txt."  The file
md5sum.txt lists hundreds and hundreds of files.  I guess what I'm supposed
to do is compare the file list in md5sum.txt to the output of some md5sum
command.  I suppose I could print md5sum.txt out and compare it to some list
of files that the command md5sum gives me.  But so far md5sum has not given
me a list like that found in md5sum.txt.  So far md5sum has given me the
three outputs listed in (1), (2), and (3) above.  A fourth output, from
"md5sum sarge-i386-netinst.iso" gives me a long code followed by the name of
the iso file.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next?

Thank you.

Bob