2005 Jan 06 09:08

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Net Install Question

On Wed 05 Jan 05,  4:04 PM, Robert G. Scofield <rscofield@afes.com> said:
> On Wednesday 05 January 2005 15:10, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > Also, just to make sure the iso file isn't corrupted, do:
> >
> >    file sarge-i386-netinst.iso
> >

> That's interesting because it says the CD is bootable.  But I think I need to
> try the suggestions of Marc and Jonathan.  I did choose "data CD" and I don't
> remember if I chose "iso."  I've got to get to a meeting.  I'll try to
> re-burn later tonight, or tomorrow.

Don't forget Rick's idea.  md5sum was invented (partially) for this very
purpose!

> > and do (as root):
> >
> >    mount -o loop sarge-i386-netinst.iso /mnt
> >    ls /mnt
>
> I found this to be a fascinating command.  It shows a lot of files and
> directories that do not show up if I mount the CD itself in the regular
> manner.  And those files suggest ways to boot by way of a floppy should the
> CD not boot.  I don't know what this command does exactly, but it's nice.

An ISO image is a filesystem, just like root and /home.  Whereas root and
/home are on your hard drive as ext3 (or reiserfs) filesystems,
sarg-i386-net.inst.iso is a filesystem contained within a file using the
iso9660 filesystem.

Having a filesystem in an actual *file* may sound wierd, but it's not so
wierd when you consider that your home partition resides in a "file" called
/dev/hdb2 (or whatever).  Everything is a file.

You can mount iso9660 filesystems just like you can mount root and /home.
The difference is, you need to tell mount to handle it a bit differently,
because it IS different.  "-o loop" tells mount to do a "loop mount" of a
file called "sarge-i386-netinst.iso" onto the /mnt directory.

A very useful command to know.

> So here's a question.  When one is done with this command, does one issue
> some

You can umount loop mounted images just like you can umount "regular"
filesystems.  Just "umount /mnt".

Pete