2005 Jan 05 16:01

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Net Install Question

On Wed 05 Jan 05,  3:05 PM, Robert G. Scofield <rscofield@afes.com> said:
> I've been reading about the Debian network installation and decided to try
> it.  As I understand it you download a relatively small file to burn to  a
> CD, and then later install what you need.
>
> So I downloaded this file:  sarge-i386-netinst.iso
>
> But when I burn it, it doesn't boot.

Have you tried mounting the disk (as opposed to booting it)?  Maybe you
burned the iso file instead of the filesystem that the iso contains?

> I downloaded it with Firebird, and
> there was no option to set the files to binary.  I assume that the files
> must have been set to binary by default.

Yeah, modern browsers usually do the right thing.

> I used K3B to burn the CD.

Never heard of k3b, but try this:

   cdrecord -v -data speed=99 dev=XXXXX sarge-i386-netinst.iso

where XXXXX is the device name of your cd burner (ie- /dev/hdc, /dev/hdd,
etc).

Also, just to make sure the iso file isn't corrupted, do:

   file sarge-i386-netinst.iso

and do (as root):

   mount -o loop sarge-i386-netinst.iso /mnt
   ls /mnt

Pete