2005 Jan 05 15:02

Re: [vox-tech] Installing subversion from sid into a sarge box

On Wed 05 Jan 05,  3:44 PM, Jay Strauss <me@heyjay.com> said:

> I need the newer version of perl (5.8.4 w/threads), I need the glibc in
> "testing" for Oracle (Oracle 10 installs (almost) without hitch on
> testing, but very difficult, impossible, on stable).  I'll install
> apache2/mod_perl2 also.  Lastly I'd like to have subversion 1.1
>
> Currently, the testing branch, has all that I need, with the exception
> of subversion v1.1 (which is currently in unstable).
>
> That said, I'm risk adverse and would like to be on the stable version,
> for the duration.  So I'd like to stay a safe distance from bleeding
> edge, but have all the above.

FWIW, the Linux kernel and the GNU glibc are the two most mission critical
things on your system.

> I thought the debian maintainers, at some point stop accepting changes
> to testing, say "ok, this package set is now stable", and point
> everything appropriately.

That's true.  But I believe it's the "release manager" who gets to make that
decision.  The developers are probably scrambling to release new packages
before the impending package freeze.

I *think* you're allowed to petition for a new package to be accepted after
the freeze, but you need a good reason like a vulnerability fix.

> What I thought I'd do is run testing until the day(s) that it becomes
> stable, then make my box follow the stable tree.

If I understand it correctly, you want to point your sources to "sarge".
When sarge becomes stable, your system will become Debian/stable.

Pete