2005 Jan 02 13:44

Re: [vox-tech] Authoring DVDs

On Sunday 02 January 2005 09:39 am, p-at-dirac.org (Peter Jay Salzman)
|lugod| wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to author DVDs on Linux.  Nothing complicated.  I want to pop a DVD
> into my set-top DVD player and have it play.  No menus, no subtitles, no
> language selection, no nothing.  Pop it in, and it plays.
>
> I know the gist of basics:
>    1. Avi has to be converted to mpg
>    2. I *think* the audio has to be separated and converted to wav or mp2.

Needs to be either MP2 or AC3

You'll also neet to make sure the audio and video a muxed in a particular
manner.

>    3. A strict directory structure needs to be made.
>    4. iso formed with a special DVD version of mkisofs
>    5. Burn the iso.
>
> As always, the devil is in the details.
>
> I've gone through a couple of tutorials/guides, but something always goes
> wrong with one of the steps, and I don't have the time to put into this to
> become an expert.  For example, the Linux Gazette had a good looking
> tutorial, but I couldn't get past audio extraction.  For the time being, I
> need to approach this as a dumb user.
>
> Does anybody have a guide/tutorial on how to do this that actually _worked_
> for them?  Stress: "tried and actually worked".
>
> Pete
>
> PS- The only DVD's that I've successfully authored are with Nero.  The
> quality of avi->dvd was completely unacceptable.  After posting a message
> on filesoup.com, I was told that the Nero encoding system was sub-standard
> and to use TMPG or CCE.   But surely I can do the job, just as well and
> even faster, using open source tools?

There's a pike script that will convert anything mplayer can play into DVD
video. It takes care of the whole process, but it's fairly slow.

http://fredrik.hubbe.net/hacks/mkdvd.html

The site appers to be down right now. Contact me off list and I can email you
the script if the site does not come back up.