2005 Jan 01 15:13

Re: [vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

Re: [vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

This is merely a problem of not having a boot loader of any sort installed in
the MBR.

You need a boot loader config file.  In your case grub.  Grub looks for its
config file in /boot/grub/grub.conf, /etc/grub.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst.

1.  Do you have a valid grub.conf file for your system?  After you have a
grub.conf file then you can move to step 2, see my example below.

2.  You must boot from a rescue disk of some sort, Tom's or Knoppix.  If the
machine has a CD, I would recommend Knoppix.

3.  Once you have booted into a rescue environment you need to mount your
filesystems as they will be configured in your final running system.  Since
you only have 1 partition this is not an issue.  Open up a root shell and
mount your root partition (/) of your system onto a mount point.

mkdir system
mount /dev/hda1 system
cd system
chroot .
vi /boot/grub/grub.conf

#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title My Linux System
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4WHATEVERYOURKERNEL ro root=/dev/hda1
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.WHATEVERYOUR_INITRD_IMAGE
## NOTE, you may or may not need an initrd image depending on your kernel

now, let's install the boot loader into the MBR

grub-install /dev/hda

You should see some output from grub as it writes to the MBR and installs
itself.  Now we need to exit from the chroot environment and reboot.

exit

shutdown -r now

See if the system comes up.  I may have missed a thing or two... but you
should have a boot loader installed......

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com