Re: [vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

On Fri 31 Dec 04,  3:38 PM, Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> said:
> On Friday 31 December 2004 11:07, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >    1a. cd into your *real* root filesystem, /mnt
> >    1b. Use chroot.  This makes /mnt temporarily "look" like /.
> >    1c. Run lilo and reboot.
>
> I remounted lumix to /mnt/lmx via:
>
> # mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/lmx -t ext2 -o exec

Hmmm.  I'm starting to run out of ideas.  Maybe Rod, Rick, Henry, Mark or
Jeff will have more ideas.  Try:

   # mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/lmx -t ext2 -o remount,exec

> Then I executed mount and got this:
>
> # mount
> .
> .
> .
> /dev/hda1 on /mnt/lmx type ext2 (rw)
>
> which seems like the exec flag is not being set.

You can test this.  Write a little shell script called 'hello' on /mnt/lmx:

##################  cut here
#!/bin/sh

echo "Hello World"

##################  cut here

Change its permissions:

   chmod u+x ./hello

And try to run it:

   ./hello

If the partition is mounted as noexec, you'll get a really wierd message
like "bad interpreter".

> Also, when I tried chroot:
>
> # chroot /mnt/lmx /bin/sh
>
> I got:
>
> illegal instruction
>
> I double checked and made sure that sh is really in /mnt/lmx/bin/sh

I Googled for this, and found that "illegal instruction" from chroot comes
from two main things:

   1. Varied hardware problems

   2. Running something compiled for a more advanced system.  In one case, a
      person was installing Gentoo using a stage 2 disk intended for 686 on
      an old Pentium Pro.

I'm more apt to to lean towards #2.  What kind of computer are you doing
this on?  Have you read any lmx README files?  Maybe they have "system
requirements" or something.

Pete