Re: [vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

On Fri 31 Dec 04, 10:56 AM, Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> said:
> >I have not closely followed this thread, but I have a suggestion: have you
> >tried starting a shell having the newly installed LuMiX partition as its
> >root filesystem, then running grub from there? (Use chroot(8) to do this.)
>
> I didn't even know that could be done.

Yeah -- a common rescue purpose is when forget to run lilo.  Recovering from
that looks like:

   1. Boot a rescue disk
   2. Mount / on /mnt

But here you're stuck.  If you run lilo, there are two problems.

   1. A lilo.conf is in /etc but the one you *want* to use is in /mnt/etc/

   2. The root file system location, needed by lilo, is /mnt, but at the
      moment it looks like /, a totally different device.

There are two ways to fix both these problems.

   1a. cd into your *real* root filesystem, /mnt
   1b. Use chroot.  This makes /mnt temporarily "look" like /.
   1c. Run lilo and reboot.

or

   2a. Use lilo -r

Personally, "lilo -r" hardly ever works for me.  I have no idea whether
it's broken or if I'm not using it correctly.

Pete