Re: [vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

Re: [vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Fri 31 Dec 04, 10:05 AM, Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> said:

I'm still working on this LuMiX box (thanks to Pete for helping me with the cdrom problem). I've done the following:

Used Tom's Root Boot on a floppy to fdisk the hard drive into three partitions (for the sake of simplicity and ease): /dev/hda1 (bootable),

BTW, as I understand it, Linux doesn't doesn't care about the "bootable"
flag.  Every partition on a Linux system is bootable.  That flag is used
solely for the MS Windows bootloader.
That makes sense. The authors probably included this note in the instructions on the assumption that this would be a dual-boot system. Every single page of instructions I've found EVERYWHERE on how to set up a boot loader assumes a dual-boot system. Kind of frustrating in a way, since this computer has no Windows on it at all.

/dev/hda2 (swap), and /dev/hda3. I mounted /dev/hdc onto /cdrom, and /dev/hda1 onto /lmx. I then extracted the archive using:

# gunzip /cdrom/lumix.1.3.6-0.tar.gz -c | tar xvf - > /lmx

Unfortunately, the computer does not yet boot into Linux. I assume that the fdisk I ran hosed the MBR on this computer or something like that,

It shouldn't have!  I don't see where you installed something into the MBR.
I've never heard of lumix, but I assume it uses lilo.  If so, making one of
your partitions bootable isn't going to do anything for you.  You actually
need to install something into your MBR.
Actually, it looks to me like LuMiX is based on RedHat instead of on Debian like I had originally assumed. It uses GRUB as its boot loader instead of LILO. Either way, a boot loader still has to be installed. :)

LuMiX, by the way, is a Linux distribution developed exclusively for public libraries. Our librarian was interested in trying it out; and since I'm on the library commission and the only one in the library who has any experience with Linux (our IT guy is a good fellow but he's a die-hard M$ loyalist), I volunteered to install it onto one of the desktop machines that we retired.

so I've been trying to run GRUB to reinstall a boot loader. Unfortunately, when I try to execute:

# /lmx/boot/grub/grub

I get an error message:

/lmx/boot/grub/grub: not found

even though grub exists in that directory. I assume that the grub program is making a call to /sbin/grub/grub instead of /lmx/sbin/boot/grub; trouble is, Tom's Root Boot does not come with Grub.

/dev/hda1 is mounted as /lmx, right?

Does /lmx/boot/grub/grub have the executable flag set?

Do a "mount" and see if the partition was mounted with "noexec".  There was
a mount option that implied "noexec" too... what was it...  oh, right.  If
/dev/hda1 was mounted with the "user" or "users" option, that implies
"noexec".  Try doing this:

   mount /dev/hda1 /lmx -o remount,exec

Also, in case grub is a shell script wrapper front-end, (do file
/path/to/grub), make sure /bin/sh is where the shell script expects it to
be.

It should be one of these three ideas!   :)
I'll try them all, and let you know.  Thanks!

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford (http://www.mossroot.com AIM: Buffalo2K)