January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

[vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

I'm still working on this LuMiX box (thanks to Pete for helping me with the cdrom problem). I've done the following:

Used Tom's Root Boot on a floppy to fdisk the hard drive into three partitions (for the sake of simplicity and ease): /dev/hda1 (bootable), /dev/hda2 (swap), and /dev/hda3. I mounted /dev/hdc onto /cdrom, and /dev/hda1 onto /lmx. I then extracted the archive using:

# gunzip /cdrom/lumix.1.3.6-0.tar.gz -c | tar xvf - > /lmx

Unfortunately, the computer does not yet boot into Linux. I assume that the fdisk I ran hosed the MBR on this computer or something like that, so I've been trying to run GRUB to reinstall a boot loader. Unfortunately, when I try to execute:

# /lmx/boot/grub/grub

I get an error message:

/lmx/boot/grub/grub: not found

even though grub exists in that directory. I assume that the grub program is making a call to /sbin/grub/grub instead of /lmx/sbin/boot/grub; trouble is, Tom's Root Boot does not come with Grub.

I also tried making a boot floppy from my desktop computer (which didn't work out, since both computers have very different hardware profiles), and also by simply copying the contents of /lmx/boot/grub/* to /dev/fd0. That didn't work either.

I'm pretty sure I'm nearly done with this task. I've never done an installation from scratch like this before; if nothing else, it's been quite a learning experience.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford (http://www.mossroot.com AIM: Buffalo2K)