Re: [vox-tech] Accessing cdrom from Tom's Root Boot

On Thursday 30 December 2004 14:17, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Agreed: wierd.  IDE (at this level) is usually foolproof.  I can't think of
> any way to disable a cdrom.

I think he had disabled the auto-detect for IDE drives beyond the first
device.  It was set to detect the hard drive, and had options to auto-detect
another primary drive, and two secondary drives.  Those were all disabled.  I
set the first secondary drive to auto-detect CD-ROM, and that fixed it.

This computer was originally located in a public library.  I imagine that the
previous sysadmin had done this (and set the setup password as well) in order
to protect the computer from being tampered with.

--
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford@mossroot.com)
AIM: Buffalo2K / http://www.mossroot.com